Thursday, February 18, 2016

Life Studies

Everything you need to know, you've already learnt in kindergarten

is just one of the many phrases my design teacher, Sue Vesella, would often always rattle off. It's been over 20 years, but her words of wisdom seem to linger, on an endless current in my head, growing larger with each wave, getting more confident with each cycle. And the neatest thing about it is that the right phase pops up at the time when I need to hear it most. She definitely imparted the knowledge well! 

I learnt so much in the last exhibition in November 2015 that I produced and curated.  For one, I was present at the venue 24/7 for 2 whole weeks. I met every visitor, and listened carefully to what they wanted. It was a great feeling to be there present and selling the art that I made.  And from the previous show (December 2014), I gathered enough information to know what works, and what doesn't. Moving forward, I continue to learn how to paint, and how to be an artist.

I'm inspired by Italian cuisine - how clean, how simple, how fresh it is. And it gives me great pleasure to be painting something from the local markets here in Florence, especially when they are seasonal! Here is a series of the Florentine winter favourites.


Zampone, 60cm x 30cm, oil on Canvas


The Hunger Game, 20cm x 30cm, oil on Canvas


Vino Santo con Cantuccini, 20cm x 15cm, oil on Canvasboard



When Life Gives you Lemons, 15cm x 20cm, oil on Canvasboard


No comments:

Post a Comment