Saturday, January 17, 2015

5-day Art Challenge - Day 3

Day 3 of the Facebook 5-Day Art Challenge

Rules: 
Participants who are nominated are to post 3 pieces of art for 5 days; and may nominate another artist to take up the challenge. And don't forget to post the name of the artist that nominated you. 

Nominated by: 
Dawn Lo, Lim Han Seng and Vicki Sullivan

I nominate:
Rebeca Arriola


In the last post, I mentioned briefly that Animation school got me using traditional tools once again. It was during then I was introduced to short poses with a live model and sketching animals. After the animation programme finished end of 2011, I bought myself an annual zoo pass to the Singapore Zoological gardens and made it my thing to visit the zoo every week, which I did faithfully.  :) Live animals were the closest thing I had to a live model. And what's neat about this is that the animals don't pose for you. You have to capture them as they are... moving. This trains one's speed. 

This happened for the next 16 months. I grew to love and understand animals a  whole lot better just being able to observe them. There was a point I even thought I could communicate with them. Every city I visited, the zoo was on the list of things to do. Shanghai, Seoul, Perth, Los Angeles, Bangkok, Yokohama, Rome and Pistoia. The one and only that I missed was the zoo in Paris which was under construction when I was there in the winter of 2013. Yes, there's an ongoing debate about animals being locked up in a zoo which can be discussed another time. And Yes, one can tell how a city/ country respects animals by looking at their zoo. 


Nyalas and giraffes at the Singapore Zoological Gardens
ink, gel pen and watercolour wash


Rhinoceros and penguins at the Pistoia Zoo
ink


Kangeroos and an elephant at the Perth Zoo
ink and watercolour wash

No comments:

Post a Comment