Sunday, April 30, 2017

The La Kopi Booth debuts at SABF2017

The 4th annual Singapore Art Book Fair happened on 27 - 30 April 2017. It brought some 30 over publishers and independent artists from around the region to showcase their art and books in this 3.3 day event. 

As with any event that I have been given ample time to prepare, I decided on a local coffeeshop theme for the booth this time around because of my latest book sketchbook - La Kopi. 

Believe it or not, the booth was conceptualised at the last Singapore Art Book Fair in 2016 at the Art Science Museum. It took me 5 full days to build the working structure - meaning I could put items on the shelves and have it not collapse. :) It comes with an LCD display for my timelapse work, old traditional signboard and a couple of geckos called Chi and Chak. The reason why I invested the time in this booth is because:

1) It's my booth, I want to be proud of it.

 2) I'm a hardcore Disney theme parks fan.
(I was once designated as an Imagineer by my former company Singapore Press Holdings 
because I used to do creative experiments like these and more during my tenure there.)

3) It's my 4D portfolio: Yes, sight, sound and smell of coffee! :)

4) I want fairgoers to smile... especially if they journeyed long to get there.

5) I want to encourage people to take the time to make things with their hands.

6) I realised that I needed a place to vent all my creative energy, 
because... yes, I am still looking for a studio space to paint. 

Thank you to the event director, the organisers, the A-team at BooksActually who were so so helpful, my chauffeurs, Doreen and Silas, who gave me and my shop a ride to the fair and back!  I am thankful!!  I am also grateful to meet so many creative people during the fair. And my awesome neighbour, Fable, who took care of my booth during my toilet and lunch breaks. 

Next up: I'm looking forward to the sale of La Kopi to the masses. :) 
Stay very tuned! 


7, Lock Road, Gillman Barracks


La Kopi - a traditional old shop signboard for my booth



3/4 view of the booth


Behind the scenes


Sketching the busy crowd during the pockets of timeout I had


Presenting... my latest sketchbook!!!



Smiles from happy customers are confirmation of a job well done! :) 


Philip Garcia - my instructor who re-introduced me to 
figure drawing at animation school - paid the booth a visit. 


The gang from Brunners Coffeeshop came to show their support...
thanks guys! This is one of the tapestries I was selling from my 
Society 6 page. We look like a soccer team!

As with all blog posts, I end with a little neat video:
Setting up the La Kopi Booth




No comments:

Post a Comment